Bernhard Niesner, founder of Busuu, started the social language platform to help people learning languages better. One interesting aspect is that women learn very differently than men. Women do more tests and interact more. For Niesner, the biggest challenge in learning is motivation. Goal setting is therefore very important and the quantification of those goals. A second aspect is community. The agenda for future education is mobile, blended learning and adaptive learning. This means a mobile, trackable, social and customized learning experience. Stephanie Hospital, manager of Orange foundation, follows on to talk about global e-learning market, which will be ncreasing by 7.9% every year until 2016. Orange foundation is committed to support digital education worldwide. For Hospital "Education is the only tool" for empowerment. Moderator David Rowan asks how technology changes the way of education. Niesnr replies that tracking complete user history in the learning experience is to make learning more efficient. For the potential of peer to peer learning, Nieser, is optimistic as he believes in the power of community. "Students sitll value the university from top school. How will that change?" For Hospital, the change is already happening and the value of Harvard and Oxford is the community, not the learning experience. Niesner also points out that one needs to differentiate between developed and developing countries. For students in developing country, it is such a huge advantage to have access to online learning. They can listen to lectures to top researchers and professors by only having something as easy as an internet access. Hospital also continues to say that for Orange, a mobile communication company, supporting education is a mutually beneficial project. "We give people freedom as education is freedom." The panel finishes with a quote from Malala Yousafzai "Education is the only solution. Education first!"
To link your Twitter account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
To link your Facebook account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
Mentioned in this live blog
CEO & Co-Founder
All DLDwomen13 Blogposts
- Creative Collaboration
- Sleep as a Risk Factor
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows
- Learn, Learn, Learn!
- Workshop: The Art of Screwing / Die Feine Art des Vögelns
- Avian intelligence: Innovation skills in tool-using New Caledonian crows and parrots
- Brands Go Social
- How Does Biology Drive Behavior
- Everlasting Love?
- Workshop: "Family Planning for the LGBT Community"
- Passion for Fashion
- Glamour Patterns
- How to Trigger Female Entrepreneuship
- Let's Start Up - Guide to Your Own Business
- It's About Choices - From Contraception to Social Freezing
- Please Walk on the Grass - the Art of Getting Lost and Finding Yourself
- Decisionmaking - Why You Can't Always Get What You Want
- Hurdles of Philanthropy
- Africa Connect
- DLDwomen Impact Award 2013
- Innovation Made in Europe
- Workshop: "Build a Community"
- Images Leading the Way
- Power & Leadership in Changing Times
- How Helping Women Helps the World
- Workshop: "How to Win Men’s Support for Change"
- Forget About Old Boys' Clubs
- Where are Marla Zuckerberg, Mary Jobs and Joan Bezos?
- The Female Quota - A Success Story?
- Workshop: "Living without Fear"
- A True Romance - Digital & Luxury
- Is Media Ruling Our Self-Perception?
- The Athena Doctrine
- Diversity Beyond Gender
- Workshop: "We All Have a Voice. We Just Need to Find It!"
- The Power of Words - A Storyteller's View
- Protection of Personal Data – A European Wake Up Call
- Demo - Detect Your Thoughts, Feelings Emotions!
- Demo - Track Yourself!
- Future of Work - Germany meets Silicon Valley